Council Meeting Minutes – April 2021

Minutes of the Council Meeting held at 7.30pm on Thursday 1st April 2021 online.
The meeting was hosted by Mr. Kibler using the “Zoom” video conferencing application. This was necessary due to the national Covid – 19 requirements for social distancing.

1. Attendance.  J.Aldersley in the chair with, I. Scholes, A. Kibler, J. Bentley, M. Murray, G. Toulson, J. Burton, B. Yates, J. Shergill, G. Roper, J. Pankhurst (Keighley Association of Engineers) and I. Blakeley. Mr. Aldersley opened the meeting by welcoming Mr. Pankhurst of Keighley Association who is joining this meeting as a guest/observer to ascertain whether the zoom system would work for the Keighley Association.

2. Apologies for Absence.  S. Stacey, R. Town, H. Kingswell and A. Rogers.

3. Minutes of the Previous Meeting. Dated 4th March 2021 were approved.

4. Matters Arising. None.

5. Treasurers Report. Mr. Kibler reported the following financial transactions:-

Payments :- 2 x £14.39 for use of Zoom (online meeting facility) = £28.78
1 x £59.99 Annual Fee for Hosting of website

Receipts :- £15.00 Cheque from Mr. Thompson (subscription)

6. Correspondence. Mr.Scholes sent an email to Leeds Parish Church asking whether we would be able to have our annual church service at some point this year if the covid restrictions are lifted. Mr. Aldersley was contacted by one of our members who requested that when we have our online lectures, we post the zoom meeting details earlier.

7. Membership. Mr. Murray reported that we have had no new applications since our last meeting. We discussed the problem of getting new members particularly younger people/under forties. The problem has been compounded with the restrictions due to the current covid pandemic, but also a growing number of our members are retired. We discussed the difficulty of getting factory visits prior to the pandemic and foresee this getting even harder once restrictions are removed. We are limited to where we can visit by the fact that we are looking for evening visits. Many companies close their doors by 6pm. We discussed the possibility of afternoon visits which of course is acceptable to our retired members, but means taking annual leave for our working members. Mr. Pankhurst (Keighley Association) said even during lockdown they have had new applications which come mainly from their website. Mr.Toulson said he will try moving the membership details into the forefront on our website to see if we can spark any new interest.

8. Current Programme. We discussed the fact that we have no lecture planned for the end of April which is normally the time we have our AGM. We did not have an AGM last year due to the Corona Virus restrictions, but we have agreed to carry out an online AGM on the 29th April 2021. Mr. Murray will send out an invitation to our current members by email and Mr. Toulson will add details to the website which will allow non-members to join us. The minutes of the last AGM (2019) are available to download from our website, these will need to be validated at the 2021 AGM. Mr. Kibler our treasurer will produce a balance sheet for the year ending October 2020 which will be sent to Ms. Burton for verification prior to them being presented at the 2021 AGM. The balance sheet will not be sent on the invitation email for security reasons, but will be presented verbally at the AGM, any member who wants one can request a written copy of the balance sheet to be sent to them by land mail. Mr. Aldersley agreed to give a brief talk after the AGM. We agreed that we would ask Mr. Town our president if he would agree to extend his role as president by one year because this last year has been nullified due to the Covid restrictions.

9. Next Session. The only real confirmed function we have for the next session is the visit to Kirklees Light Railway which we hope to combine with a social function afterwards if covid restrictions permit. Mr. Yates said he thought we would be able to visit Allied Glass because he had a very positive response when he made an initial enquiry some time ago. However, Mr. Toulson had made several attempts to secure this visit even visiting the premises but was not even granted an audience with anyone who could authorise the visit.

10. Website. Mr. Toulson confirmed that the hosting fee has been paid but the biennial fee for the domain name is due in May, this is likely to be around £20. He has added new articles on the website and has a couple more to add.

11. Journal. Mr Bentley said he is nearly up to date but needs Ms. Burton’s date of joining to complete the register. He needs to complete the introduction and index.

12. Annual Golf Tournament. Mr Stacey has expressed his concern by email that the Covid pandemic restrictions might still be in place on the 23rd June and he might have to postpone the tournament.

13. Annual Dinner. Mr. Kibler said he cannot organise anything yet but he has been in contact with Headingley Golf Club to discuss the possibility of having the dinner later in the year, possibly September.

14. Solstice Walk. Mr. Murray agreed to organise something, restrictions are due to be removed on 21st June so walk could take place on 24th June.

15. Church Service. No arrangements can be made at the moment. As stated earlier Mr. Scholes is keeping in contact with Reverend Sam.

16. Meeting Rooms. Mr. Toulson said he has been in conversation with Mr. Rogers regarding the REA meeting room we use for our lectures at Cleckheaton. He said the building has been sold and will be demolished and replaced with housing. Mr. Scholes said he has been in touch with one of the churches in Morley which has a room available for hire at £30 per evening and is available on Thursdays. This also has the benefit of sufficient parking to accommodate our members. Mr. Aldersley is to approach Leeds City College to see if they could accommodate us if we put on any prestigious lectures.

Any other Business. Having no other business Mr. Aldersley closed the meeting after thanking those who attended and advising that the next virtual meeting will be on the 13th May 2021 avoiding local elections..


……………………………………………President. ……………….. Date