Council Meeting Minutes – February 2018

Minutes of the Council Meeting held at 7.15pm on Thursday 1st February 2018 at the Cornerhouse Club Leeds.

1. Attendance. J. Aldersley President in the chair with B. Yates, M. Murray, A. Kibler and I. Blakeley.

2. Apologies for absence. I. Scholes, S. Stacey, G. Toulson, J. Bentley, A. Rogers, J. Shergill, H. Kingswell and R. Town.

3. Minutes of the Previous Meeting, dated 4th January 2018 were approved & signed.

4. Matters Arising. Mr. Kibler said a correction was required in the January minutes, in the credits the £15 subscription had been paid by him not Mr. Aldersley.

5. Treasurers Report. Mr. Kibler reported the following transactions :-


21-12-17 – Cheque 0000000553 – £54.00
13-12-17 – Expense payment to M. Murray – £59.66

05-01-18 – Credit 5697877 (Subscriptions) – £75.00
18-12-17 – A. Kibler LAE Subscription – £15.00
12-12-17 – Credit 5697876 – £110.00
04-12-17 – Credit 5697875 (Subscriptions) – £600.00

The balance for both the current account and the savings account were given at the council meeting but are not published due to minutes appearing on the internet.
Mr. Kibler said we received gross interest of £4.98 on the savings account.

6. Correspondence. Mr. Murray said he had sent an email to Mr. Scholes (a fellow council member) who had requested up to date email addresses for the membership. He had inadvertently sent copies of the email to everyone on the list resulting in a number of complaints. Mr. Aldersley has been in touch with Dean at Appris requesting contact details for any company he feels might be able to offer us a visit or lecture in the future.

7. Membership. Nothing to report.

8. Current Programme. Mr. Murray said he received a reply to our request for a visit to Wendy Wool (proposed ladies evening) they are unable to accommodate us. Mr. Scholes had enquired with Leeds Minster whether they would grant us a visit to look behind the scenes at the minster and tell us something about the history of the building. He was told that we could not be accommodated on a Thursday (our usual night for visits) because it is a service night. Mr. Murray said that he and Lynne (his wife) had attended a talk on Gemstones and Crystals at Batley Library which he felt would be appropriate for the Ladies’ evening. He had obtained details from the speaker which he will pass to Mr. Scholes and ask him to make contact due to Mr. Murray’s forthcoming holiday. Mr. Yates suggested that we might look at perhaps adding an extra visit into the programme which might suit our retired members. He proposed a visit to the Anderton Boat Lift in Cheshire might be a good one.

9. Next Session. Mr Aldersley is hoping to get some useful contacts from Dean at Appris. We discussed contacting Ginetta Cars. It is probably in excess of 5 years since we last visited and they said we are very welcome to come back. We felt that this is the type of visit that has appeal to younger members we are hoping to attract.

10. Student Award Scheme. Mr. Stacey is going to talk to his contacts at Mitchell Fox to see if they might be interested in some form of sponsorship.

11. Website. The website is up to date with no issues.

12. Golf. Mr. Stacey was unable to attend the meeting due to having the latest virus going around but emailed his report to be read out at the meeting by Mr. Aldersley. The report stated that he had made up a list of 24 names of Mitchell Fox guests from the previous few years. He plans meeting with Gerry Allen mid- February to get things under way, contact them and explain the Mitchell Fox position. He is hoping that 50% might attend as individuals. He has also drawn up a list of people from companies he knows who might want to participate and bring guests, but he will not contact them until he knows more about the Mitchell Fox people. Not wanting to get more guests than we can cope with, he is hopeful of having a clearer picture by the next council meeting on 1st March.

13. Annual Dinner. Mr.Kibler has reached agreement with Headingley Golf Club and they have agreed to keep the cost at £20/head as last year. This means with our expenses, cost to the membership/customers will remain at £25. There have been minor alterations to the menu but these have all been agreed. Mr. Kibler will contact Andrew, chef at Headingley Golf Club, and ask him to email him the menu so that we can get out the flyer to the membership. He has been in contact with John Pankhurst at Keighley Association of Engineers who is hopeful of bringing sufficient members to fill a table. He will contact Christine Hall to invite her but needs to know the names of anyone we should invite who gave us lectures/visits. Mr. Kibler will represent our Association at the Hull Association Dinner, Mr Aldersley is otherwise engaged. The Keighley Association’s dinner will be on Friday 11th May, details are on our website.

Any other Business. Having no other business Mr. Aldersley closed the meeting.


……………………………………………President. ……………….. Date