THE LEEDS ASSOCIATION OF ENGINEERS
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at 7.30pm on Thursday 7th January 2021 online.
The meeting was hosted by Mr. Kibler using the “Zoom” video conferencing application. This was necessary due to the national Covid – 19 requirements for social distancing.
1. Attendance. R. Town in the chair with, J. Aldersley, I. Scholes, A. Kibler, J. Bentley, M. Murray, G. Toulson, J. Burton, H. Kingswell and I. Blakeley.
2. Apologies for absence. S. Stacey, A. Rogers and J. Shergill.
3. Minutes of the Previous Meeting. Dated 10th December 2020 were approved and signed.
4. Matters Arising. None.
5. Treasurers Report. Mr. Kibler said there had been no financial transactions this month. He requested from Mr Murray the email addresses for Mr. Mathers and Mr. Garland so that he can contact them regarding subscriptions being cancelled due to the Coronavirus. Monies will be returned accordingly.
6. Correspondence. We have no incoming correspondence this month. Mr. Scholes said he has been in contact with the Chaplin at Leeds Minster although nothing can be arranged with regards our annual church service due to the pandemic.
7. Membership. Mr. Aldersley who is a member of staff at Leeds City College is still hopeful of getting a work colleague to join the association but of course it is difficult when we cannot put on any events. As expected, things remain static with no new applications for membership.
8. Current Programme. We do not have an ongoing programme due to the Coronavirus restrictions.
9. Next Session. Mr. Murray reported that the potential for a lecture / visit to the Wesco Aircraft company in Cleckheaton is unlikely to happen as their premises are up for sale.
10. Website. Mr. Kibler has sent a few recollections from his working life to Mr. Toulson to be included on our website and Mr. Toulson will add an amusing tale from his working life just to see if it sparks any interest from the membership. This is just something to stop the website going stale and if enough members can be encouraged to write in with their own recollections it could become a useful historical record. In response to council members asking who is viewing the website Mr. Toulson said he can only establish that the audience is scattered around the world, but at this point we are not able to determine what page / articles they are reading.
11. Journal. Mr Bentley said he has nothing new to report. Ms. Burton said she has made a start on her article for submission to the journal.
12. Annual Golf Tournament. Nothing to report.
13. Annual Dinner. Mr. Kibler said nothing can be done regarding the 2021 annual dinner with the current state of the pandemic.
14. Church Service. No arrangements can be made at the moment. As stated earlier Mr. Scholes is keeping in contact with Reverend Sam.
15. Meeting Rooms. Nothing can be done at the moment because no one knows when we will be able to meet as a group.
Any other Business. Mr. Murray said that the small increase in the cost of second class stamps does not make it worthwhile buying a large quantity as we did previously. Having no other business Mr. Town closed the meeting after thanking those who attended and advising that the next virtual meeting will be on the 4th February 2021.
……………………………………………President. ……………….. Date