Council Meeting Minutes – January 2022

Minutes of the Council Meeting held at 7.15pm on Thursday 6th January 2022 at the Corner House Club Moortown Leeds LS17 6QE.

1. Attendance. R. Town in the chair with, J. Aldersley, A. Kibler, M. Murray, G. Roper, J.Shergill and I. Blakeley.

2. Apologies for absence. S. Stacey, I. Scholes, J. Burton, G. Toulson, B. Yates, J. Bentley, H. Kingswell and A. Rogers.

3. Minutes of the Previous Meeting. Dated 2nd December 2021 were approved and signed.

4. Matters Arising. Mr. Murray pointed out that the £30 subscription for A. Harris in the December minutes was for two people.

5. Treasurers Report. Mr. Kibler reported the following transactions :-


Date            Description 
30/Nov/21 Subs – V.Davies £15.00
…….…………….Subs – Ross Town £45.00
3/Dec/21    Subs – Jas Shergill £15.00
…………………..Subs – Barrie Yates £15.00
8/Dec/21    Subs – Tony Mathers £15.00
…………………..Subs – Brian Stockdale £30.00
9/Dec/21    Subs – J. Burton £15.00
…………………..Subs – Ian Blakeley £15.00
10/Dec/21  Subs – Peter Rayner £15.00
13/Dec/21  Subs – Francis Atkinson £15.00
……………………Subs – G D Bond £30.00
14/Dec/21  Subs – L.Scrupps, J.Kelsall & A.Hunt £45.00
15/Dec/21  Subs – John Miller £15.00
……………………Subs – C. Jagger £15.00
22/Dec/21  Subs – J Pease Tony Wiese & ?? £45.00
23/Dec/21  Subs – C Burgess £15.00
29/Dec/21  Subs – Ian Mckay £15.00
30/Dec/21  Subs – Graham Roper £15.00
31/Dec/21  Ford Europe – £100.00


10/Dec/21  Stamps for subs invoices £64.02

Mr. Kibler reported the status of the association’s bank accounts, but this does not appear in the minutes because they are open to public view on the internet.

6. Correspondence. Mr. Murray has received an email from Neil Coleman saying he is resigning from Leeds Association of Engineers.

7. Membership. Mr Aldersley has got Leeds City College to join us as a corporate member. We have agreed to give this membership to the college free of charge in exchange for the use of meeting / lecture rooms when we have more prestigious lectures. We discussed offering Ken Norris honorary life membership; this was agreed in principle by council. Mr. Roper said he will discuss this with Ken’s wife. Ken is currently in hospital with a broken hip.

8. Current Programme. We have still to confirm the February lecture about the steam motor bike, we have been informed that it will not fit in the church hall at Morley so the plan is to use Leeds City College. Mr. Toulson asked whether Mr. Town will be doing a talk / lecture at the AGM or if not Mr. Shergill can give us a talk he has prepared on the kilogram or alternatively we can ask Jayanti Mistry from Sandvik to give us a follow up lecture on machine tools. Mr. Town will let us know when he has given this some thought.

9. Next Session. Nothing to report. Mr. Aldersley said he feels sure we could get a visit to Leeds City College to view the workshops.

10. Website. Nothing to report other than it is all up to date including the date of the next A.G.M.

11. Annual Golf Tournament. Details of the golf tournament are on the website, the 2021 event was cancelled due to Covid 19. A provisional date of 29th June 2022 has been pencilled in for the next tournament.

12. Annual Dinner. Mr. Kibler said he will contact the Headingley Golf Club to discuss arrangements for the annual dinner. He feels that to keep the price to our members at £25 we might have to reduce the choice from three items per course to two items per course. He said he will ask the chef at the Golf Club to choose the menu because he will be aware of what is popular and what is seasonal. We need to put something on the flyer about special dietary requirements and mention if anyone has food allergies.

13. Church Service. Mr. Scholes has been in contact with Sam (the last vicar) who has now moved on and is now a bishop. Leeds Parish now has a temporary vicar Judith Clark but we have been unable to contact her.

14. You Tube Videos. (See December minutes) Mr. Roper said that whilst the ‘YouTuber’ he had been watching was not a very competent engineer, he clearly was very good at ‘IT’ and making videos, which is the area in which we would be lacking. He thought it would not be worth our while pursuing this any further.

Any other Business. Having no other business Mr. Town closed the meeting after thanking those who attended.


……………………………………………President. ……………….. Date