Council Meeting Minutes – September 2021

Minutes of the Council Meeting held at 7.00pm on Thursday 2nd September 2021 at Headingley Golf Club, Adel, Leeds LS16 8DW

1. Attendance. R. Town in the chair with, J. Aldersley, A. Kibler, M. Murray, G. Toulson, A. Rogers, J. Burton, B. Yates, G. Roper, H. Kingswell, J. Bentley, K. Hegarty (trustee) and I. Blakeley.

2. Apologies for absence. S. Stacey, I. Scholes and J. Shergill.

3. Minutes of the Previous Meeting. Dated 5th August 2021 were approved.

4. Matters Arising. None.

5. Treasurers Report. No transactions since the last meeting.

6. Correspondence. Mr. Murray said he has written to our three new members and sent out copies of the new journal. Mr. Town said he has submitted an article about the Leeds Association of Engineers which will be published in next month’s Thorite Company Newsletter which is circulated around all their branches. This has been done with a view to boosting membership of the association.

7. Membership. Nothing further to report.

8. Current Programme. We are hoping to do the railway visit next month but this is subject to confirmation. Bill Jagger is willing to give us a lecture but that is likely to be in January 2022, Mr. Yates says he has agreement from Bruce MacDougall to give us a talk and he just needs to confirm a date. Mr. Roper is trying to get John Sugden to give us a talk on anaesthesia in October, but this might not happen due to the short time in which to prepare. Mr. Yates says he can redo his lecture on The Machine that Changed the World “The Motor Car” if John Sugden is not available.

9. Next Session. Nothing to report we have only just started this session.

10. Website. Nothing to report. However, Mr. Yates questioned whether others could contribute, most of the content comes from a small number of people. If anyone finds something that might of interest to our membership, perhaps they could send it to Mr. Toulson (our webmaster). Mr. Kibler suggested that we put the journal on the website, but this could only be done if we removed any personal information relating to our membership.

11. Journal. The journal has been well received by our membership. Mr. Hegarty commented that it is the best one yet, and Mr. Bentley should be congratulated on a wonderful effort.

12. Annual Golf Tournament. Details of the golf tournament are on the website, the 2021 event was cancelled due to Covid 19. A provisional date of 29th June 2022 has been pencilled in for the next tournament.

13. Annual Dinner. Mr. Kibler said he is hoping to start planning the dinner in January 2022 with a view to holding the event in April. Mr. Yates raised the question of whether we should revert to having an after-dinner speaker. The general feedback received by council is that the membership prefer an informal quiz and to socialise after the meal.

14. Church Service. Nothing to report.

15. Meeting Rooms. Mr. Scholes has booked the meeting rooms for October and November at the church hall in Morley. Before we can use these rooms, we need to fill out a risk assessment form that the church provided. This needs to be signed by our President Mr. Town. We agreed to look at the possibility of hiring a lecture room at Leeds University if we get a prestigious speaker / lecture. Mr. Aldersley (Vice President) said he has spoken to a delegate of the I.MECH.E who said they would be happy to invite our members along to one of their lectures.

16. Council Meetings. Mr. Toulson will check with Paul (Steward at The Corner House Club) whether the room we used for our council meetings prior to the Covid 19 outbreak is available to us from October on our usual last Thursday of the month. Mr. Kibler will cancel/suspend our Zoom account.

Any other Business. Mr. Yates proposed that we thank Frank Smith for the Zoom lecture that he gave us during lockdown by supplying him with a nice bottle of whisky. This was agreed by council. Having no other business Mr. Town closed the meeting after thanking those who attended.


……………………………………………President. ……………….. Date