Council Meeting Minutes – March 2020

Minutes of the Council Meeting held at 7.15pm on Thursday 5th March 2020 at the Corner House Club Moortown Club Leeds.

1. Attendance. J. Aldersley in the chair with, G. Roper, I. Scholes, A. Kibler, A. Rogers, J. Bentley, H. Kingswell, S. Stacey and I. Blakeley.

2. Apologies for absence. J. Shergill, G. Toulson, R. Town, M. Murray and J. Burton.

3. Minutes of the Previous Meeting. Dated 6th February 2020 were approved & signed.

4. Matters Arising. None.

5. Treasurers Report. Mr. Kibler reported bank transactions since the 7th February which are listed below. He said he has paid a small deposit in order to secure our visit to Kirklees Railway (ladies evening). Mr. Kibler advised council of the balance in the current account but for security reasons it does not appear in the minutes.

Transaction Details From 7th February 2020 to 2nd March 2020
Debits :-

2nd March – Deposit for Kirklees Railway visit. – £63.00

Credits :-

7th February – Subscription J. Burton – £15.00

19th February – Dinner Payment M. Murray – £50.00

20th February – Dinner Payment G. Toulson – £100.00

Cash Transactions :-

Cash in Hand :- Balance from 1st November 2018 – £ 5.91

Cash From new member – £20.90

Cash for membership fee – £15.00

New Balance in Hand – £40.91

6. Correspondence. It was suggested by Mr.Yates that Mr. Mathers, one of the members, could possibly give us a talk but when approached Mr. Mathers said he was sorry but felt he was unable to help. Mr Roper said he has approached the Steam Workshop in Heckmondwike, they have agreed to give us a factory visit. Mr. Scholes had an email from the Vicar of Leeds saying our annual church service would normally be on 10th May but if we wanted to keep this date, we would have to share the service with another group. We have been offered 17th May as an alternative. We agreed that we would share the service and maintain our original date (10th May). Mr. Scholes will contact the church and advise them of our choice.

7. Membership. Nothing to report.

8. Current Programme. Mr.Shergill will check with Jayanti Mistry (Kennametal) whether he is available to give his talk after the A.G.M. at the end of April, if not we might have to find an alternative or swap Mr. Shergill’s Kilogram lecture from March to April. We still need to choose a venue for the Solstice walk. Mr. Kibler is arranging a visit to Kirklees Light Railway for our Ladies’ Evening in May. The visit will include a ride on the train, a tour of the facility, a short talk and a buffet supper. The cost of the visit is £10.50 per person which we agreed will be paid from Leeds Association funds.

9. Next Session. The visit to Drakes Extrusions Halifax factory to see the other part of their business will be arranged for 2021 (we visited their Drighlington factory in 2018). We will try secure a visit to Alco (Fire Engine manufacturer) and have an offer from Leeds University Engineering College for four of our members to have a daytime tour. Mr Roper knows a family member of the person who invented the Barcode and will investigate whether he can get them to give us a talk.

10. Website. Nothing to report at the moment, Tom who uploaded the You-tube video said if we need any change he is prepared to help but has very limited time at the moment.

11. Journal. Mr Bentley told us he has done much of the preliminary work. He needs to complete the membership list, but will most likely need to consult Mr. Murray. He also needs to write an introduction and the obituaries. Mr Scholes has discussed the printing costs with someone he knows and brought in sample booklets in fixed bound and spiral bound for us to look at.

12. Annual Golf Tournament. Mr. Stacey confirmed the golf day will be on the 24th June. Gerry Allen has agreed to assist by meeting and greeting our guests. Mr. Stacey said he will have the official document out soon but has provisionally booked for 39 people. He said that Phillip Thompson who has attended the tournament for many years and brought several guests said he will not be doing so this year. Mr. Stacey said he thought it might be a nice idea to offer Mr. Thompson a complimentary entry this year as a thank you for his support over the years. Mr. Stacey will send me an update about the golf prior to the next council meeting.

13. Annual Dinner. Mr. Kibler reported that all arrangements are now in place and applications are coming in, he just needs people to send their money. He has compiled the quiz which will be pictures and places, with famous people and engineering people of the past largely from the U.K. He plans having a charity raffle and proposes the prizes will be two large Easter eggs and two bunches of flowers with smaller prizes for each table.

Any other Business. Having no other business Mr. Aldersley closed the meeting.


…………………………………………… President ……………… Date