THE LEEDS ASSOCIATION OF ENGINEERS
Minutes of the Council Meeting held at 7.30pm on Thursday 1st October 2020 online.
The meeting was hosted by Mr. Kibler using the “Zoom” video conferencing application. This was necessary due to the national Covid – 19 requirements for social distancing.
1. Attendance. J. Aldersley in the chair with, G. Roper, I. Scholes, A. Kibler, J. Bentley, H. Kingswell, M. Murray, G. Toulson, A. Rogers and I. Blakeley.
2. Apologies for absence. J. Shergill, R. Town, S. Stacey and J. Burton.
3. Minutes of the Previous Meeting. Dated 3rd September 2020 were approved & signed.
4. Matters Arising. None.
5. Treasurers Report. Mr. Kibler said there are no transactions to report since the last meeting.
6. Correspondence. Mr. Murray said he received three replies to his letter he sent out to the membership. We have had a request from Gerry Allen to change his status to retired in the membership list and journal.
7. Membership. No new members this month. The letter which was sent out to members
by email will be sent out to our members without internet access by normal post
Mr. Aldersley is hoping to recruit The Print Works (Leeds College) as a corporate member.
8. Current Programme. We do not have an ongoing programme due to Covid – 19 restrictions.
9. Next Session. We are hoping to carry over events that were cancelled in 2020 into the next session. We are hoping the previously planned visit to Kirklees Light Railway can be re-arranged for April 2021.
10. Website. Everything is working well. The only new event is a posting of the 2021 Golf Tournament on 23rd June at Leeds Golf Club. Mr. Toulson is going to post a link to our You Tube video on the website. It was suggested that some of our members might be interested in telling the story of their career in engineering, it is quite surprising how different our experiences have been and this could open up a whole new topic of conversation. Mr. Murray said he will try putting something together about his working life for the website.
11. Journal. Mr Bentley has completed the obituary section; He has only received one update on the employment / occupation list. He is waiting for a brief story from Ms. J. Burton on becoming the first female council member in Leeds Association of Engineers history.
12. Annual Golf Tournament. Mr. Stacey has booked the golf day for the 23rd June 2021 at Leeds Golf Club and has emailed potential participants and sponsors.
13. Annual Dinner. Mr. Kibler said nothing can be done regarding the 2021 annual dinner until next year when we can assess when the next dinner can be held.
14. Church Service. Mr. Scholes has spoken to the vicar but no date can be arranged until the situation with the pandemic is resolved.
15. Meeting Rooms. Mr. Rogers said there is a degree of financial uncertainty with the REA meeting rooms at Cleckheaton. It is currently owned by the Mintex Pension Scheme, but due to its lack of use this year its future is uncertain. Provided there is no change of ownership it should be still available to us next year. Mr. Toulson said he had tried contacting Paul (Steward at the Cornerhouse Club) but was unable to get hold of him. He wants to ask whether we can book the meeting room we use for council meetings for the next session and whether we are going to be credited for the meetings we had paid for in advance and were unable to attend (last meeting was early March, we paid till end of May 2020).
Any other Business. Having no other business Mr. Aldersley closed the meeting after thanking those who attended and advising that the next virtual meeting will be on the 12th November.
……………………………………………President. ……………….. Date